The island was baptized of the name of Christophe Colomb's brother, Barthelemy.
At first colonized by France in 1648, St Bart was not appropriate for plantations
and become a base for the French pirates who attacked the Spanish
galleons. In 1784, Louis XVI gave it to Gustav III of Sweden in exchange for
rights of business in Göteborg.
A century later Sweden resells it to France
for 48 784 Euro.
Initially called Carenage by the French,
(owners of the island from 1784 to 1878) will call it Gustavia in homage
to the king Gustav III. its natural harbour, ideally protected of
the swell, in fact one of the surest of all the Antilles: an incredible
number of sailboats is permanently closed there.
The small wooden traditional compartments,
painted by lively colours,
surround life streets, names of which are indicated in
French and in Swedish.
The history of the island in some dates
1493. The island is discovered and baptized San Barthelemeo.
1648. Jacques Gentes and 60 colonists are installed in the island
on the orders of Saint-Christophe governor.
1651. The island is sold to the knights of Malta.
1656. A raid of Indian Caraibes massacres the colony.
1674. Sailors Bretons and Normans come to live on island.
1784. St-Barthelemy is given by Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI to king of Sweden GUSTAV III.
three Strong are built (Gustav, Octave, Karl), the port of Carenage becomes Gustavia and
St BARTHELEMY becomes St BARTHELEMI.
1785. Sweden makes of St Barthelemi a free harbour.
On March 16th,1878, the island is sold in France for 48 784 euro, and becomes again St BARTHELEMY.
1946. St Barthelemy is set up as Municipality of France connected with the Department of Guadeloupe.